Groups! I have a love hate relationship with them! They serve so many great purposes – but, can also be annoying, disruptive beds for growing false information. I’ll try to keep my personal preferences out of here – but share some basic group etiquette that should benefit everyone!
- A little grammar, please. I realize it’s a casual environment, but to prevent confusion…add a comma here and there – so we can distinguish one point from another.
- Who are you speaking to? If the group chat includes more than one topic/conversation/thread…mention the name of who you’re addressing. This is so other people will know what topic you’re addressing.
- Promoting an event? DETAILS!! Of course the date, time & location are important…but what kind of event is it? Specifically, what is new at your shop? How much is it? How many prims are included? It’s only the really bored reader that’s going to respond to a vague announcement!
- Does the group have criteria? Limits to chat topics or Notice frequency? As a group owner, set them – and post them where all members can see (group description, perhaps). As a participant in a group, heed them. What you consider a friendly invite can be considered spam by another… Know your audience and respect their expectations.
- How many notices are really needed for an event? Most people in world are spontaneous. “There’s a great show now, let’s go!”… but a week long update – 7 days till the big show, 6 days till the big show, 5 days, etc… Please stop!
- Consider a web based calendar for a busy agenda. 2-3 events per day, or a jam packed weekend line up? Have one place where your followers can look to see it all! Let your group notices be lighter – encourage your followers to learn how to get updates 24/7. While I’m at RL work, I might check my favorite musicians Google calendar to see if there’s a show I want to attend that evening…. InWorldz blog pages would also work for this. (web pages that feature your creations would also serve this purpose…updated with new merchandise.)
- Too many group notices? Too much chat? Check the Group’s page and review the options in lower right corner. You can disable them temporarily and/or individually. If that’s too extreme, consider “tearing off” the group chat window and minimizing it….then the group chat can go on without it pinging each time, and you can review what you missed, at your leisure.
- An InWorldz specific suggestion, as the Profiles can’t be opened by clicking on avi names from within group chat window… (one most go to Search, then look up the avi). Don’t make the person who’s willing to dig an LM (or whatever) out of their inventory for you ALSO have to search your name to deliver it. The person seeking help should be doing some of the work, no?
Personally, I like to see groups stay true to their origins. If I’m in a group for cat lovers, it isn’t because I wanted to hear about your day, your broken heart or visions for your sim….if I’m interested in your day, I’ll send you an IM. Particularly in a large group with a fairly broad focus, doesn’t it just seem polite (and discreet) to take your personal details to IM? If what your discussing takes more than 2-3 entries, perhaps you should pause and contemplate how many of the people in this group want/need to know what you’re talking about.
And since you’ve made it this far, I’ll be very blunt and say that, overall, I dislike ALL groups! I cringe when there’s dozens of notices each time I sign in…my blood pressure goes up each time an IM interrupts my work… I actually boycott any establishment that sends me more than one announcement per day!!! Yet, there are facets of each group that I want – so I don’t turn off the announcements. When you ramble on in a group chat, I mute you for the day! I don’t dislike anyone in the groups. The groups I’m in are full of great, friendly and helpful people and there’s such an amazing network being developed – every day! – I just prefer a quieter experience when I sign in (/me is a weird hermit)
I hope the groups I’m in don’t think I’m a bitch now… Perhaps I could form a new group “People Who Think Dancer is Bitchy”?? LOL Am I the only one who feels this way?
Hugs everyone – see you in Group Chat!!